Tuesday 27 April 2010

New Zealand intro

27/4/10
I’m still alive!! After freaking myself out ever so slightly about the creepy guest house I was staying in, I had a pretty crap nights sleep! But anyway – caught my taxi to the airport at 5am and was in the air by 8am.. pretty good flight but was sad to say goodbye to Sydney as I had had such good times there. Flight only lasted 2 ½ hours so not too bad at all. Arrived into New Zealand with turbulence on landing (dad you would have hated it!) and got off the plane feeling distinctly nauseous! Weather was pretty overcast but it kind of comforted me in a strange way as it reminded me of home. Got my New Zealand dollars before I left the airport and asked a guy at a shuttle bus where I could get a shuttle to the city centre... after walking in the direction he had pointed me in he pulled up alongside me and said he was going that way anyway so I ended up getting a free ride to my hostel which has put me in a very good mood and saved a potential $30:D His name was Arcadia and apparently his bible told him that today he would be a blessing to someone... well bible or no bible, he certainly was my blessing today! Got to my hostel in torrential rain and remembered my poncho was buried deep inside my backpack after spending the last month in utter dryness in Australia. The exchange rate is much better here than Oz and I just have to basically half everything to get the GBP equivalent – which makes my life a lot easier! Currently in my hostel room at Base in the centre of Auckland and debating whether to search out my rain-mac and brave the weather to see if I can book myself on a tour and get some food. I think am definitely going to visit the Auckland museum tomorrow and learn a bit about NZ and the Maori people as I spent so much time organising Australia that im a bit ignorant of NZ in general. In the evening had a bit of a walk to the harbour which is like a mini - less impressive Sydney but with really beautiful skies then headed back to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment